Healthy Flax Seed Recipes - Bread
“One of my favorite childhood memories is the delicious smell of my mother's banana bread as it baked. I've made a few minor chages to my mom's original recipe, and I hope your family likes it as much as mine does”. Jane Reinhardt Martin, RD,LD
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium or 2 large)
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup stabilized ground flaxseed (Mega Omega® or Simply Omega-3™)
- 2 Eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
3. In food processor or bowl, mash bananas. Then add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, and mix in well together.
4. Fold in chopped nuts and stabilized ground flaxseed (Mega Omega® or Simply Omega-3™).
5. Coat 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
6. Pour the batter in loaf pan. Bake for about 50-55 minutes until dark brown, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack for at least 10-15 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 50-55 minutes
Yield: 16 slices
This recipe is taken from The Amazing Flax Cookbook, by Jane Reinhardt-Martin, RD, LD.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup stabilized ground flaxseed (Mega Omega® or Simply Omega-3™)
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen/thawed blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir the lemon juice, oil, sugar, vanilla, and soymilk with a whisk. Add the stabilized ground flaxseed (Mega Omega® or Simply Omega-3™). Sift in the flour, baking powder and soda. Stir well and add the blueberries. Mix gently with only a few strokes. Pour the batter into a lightly oiled loaf pan.
3. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. (Longer if the blueberries are not fresh.)
Let cool before slicing.
From Flax: The Super Food
What's that good smell!!!
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup stabilized ground flaxseed (Mega Omega® or Simply Omega-3™)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp fast rising yeast
1. Measure ingredients and place in bread machine pan in order recommended by manufacturer.
2. Select Whole Wheat Rapid cycle.
3. When done, remove baked bread from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
Recipe used with permission from the Flax Council of Canada