Healthy Flax Seed Recipes - Soup
Orzo, Lentil, and Flax Soup
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken soup base
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 28 oz tomatoes with herbs and spices; break up tomatoes
- 1/3 cup orzo pasta or any small soup pasta
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup stabilized ground flaxseed (Mega Omega® or Simply Omega-3™)
1. In a large pot, over medium to medium-low heat, melt butter.
2. Add onion, carrot, celery and green pepper. Gently saute over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add boiling water, soup base, granulated garlic, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes with juice, orzo and lentils. Stir.
4. Slowly simmer for 1 hour with lid ajar, stirring occasionally until lentils are soft.
5. Add sugar and stabilized ground flaxseed (Mega Omega® or Simply Omega-3™). Stir and serve.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup